Alto uses a word processor to create and send letters. Each letter template is set up with merge codes, so when it's produced, the details of the record you have selected is merged with the selected contact, property, or tenancy record, to produce a complete document.
When a document is created, the content can be edited before you Finalise and either Print, Email or send by eSign to the selected recipients.
There are two types of letter templates in Alto:
- Ad hoc template
- One that is based upon a Timeline entry (also known as an event-driven template)
This article includes:
A letter can be created from either Property, Contacts or Tenancy on the main toolbar. Depending on which letter you are creating and the merge codes used in the template, will determine where you start to create your letter.
Typically, ad hoc letters have contact merge codes. In order for applicant merge codes to work, there must be a tenant or related landlord
- Click either Property, Contacts or Tenancy on the main toolbar
- Search for and select the relevant record for whom you are creating the letter, from Recent & Favourite or via the Search bar in the top right
- The Overview screen opens. Click Docs
- In the dropdown menu, click Write a Letter...
- In the Write a Letter window, click Ad hoc, using a letter template from my library
- Click Next
- Choose which template to use for your letter
- Filter by Brand, Branch, Sale/Rent to refine the list
- Click your preferred template to select it
- Double click a template to preview it
- Click Next
- Choose the records for your letter:
- Associated Contact - This is the person to whom you will be sending the letter
- Associated Property - This can be changed if necessary
- Associated Tenancy - This can be changed if necessary
- Associated Supplier - Search for and select a supplier, if it's required to complete a merge code in your letter
- Send from - Use the dropdown menu to edit if necessary
- Appearance (Branch/Brand) - If your agency uses different branding, select the necessary brand
- Click Finish. Your document will open up in a new tab on your browser
As you scroll down the letter, you will see details of the selected record that has merged with your chosen letter template.
- Edit the content of the template, if required
- Click the Page break icon if you need to force a new page at a specific point of your letter
- On the top toolbar of the document:
- Click Save if you have made any changes
- Click Preview PDF to show an example of your letter on the chosen stationary
- Cancel to remove the letter
- Close to save the letter to your letter rack
- Click Finalise, then Print, Email, Print and Email or eSign (if activated)
A record of the document is saved in the Timeline of all records that it is associated against, which you can track the progress of, retrieve at a later date, and resend if necessary.