In Alto, you can make use of email integration (CAMS), and configure and use it accordingly.
This article includes:
- What is email integration (CAMS)?
- Configure your user account
- Handle email notifications
- Identify replies in timelines
- View synced emails
Email integration within Alto, sometimes referred to as Exchange Integration or CAMS (CA Messaging Service), is a great feature which allows emails sent through Alto (along with their replies) to be seen and actioned directly within Alto.
This allows you to follow a complete history of email contact with clients straight from the Contacts and Property timelines. It also negates the need to manually add file notes when email replies are received in Outlook, saving valuable time and the possibility of replies being missed.
Please email email@example.com to arrange for this feature to be enabled for you before you configure it.
You need to have the full version of Exchange 2010, not Exchange 2010 SBS (Small Business Server) in order for the integration to work. Basic authentication is now disabled by default on all new 365 accounts. If this isn't enabled, CAMS will not work - it'll need to be enabled manually
Once the service has been enabled, each user can set up their email credentials in their Account Settings.
- Click on your name on the main toolbar
- Click Account Settings
- Click Exchange Credentials
- The Change Exchange Credentials window opens
- Enter your User Name - This is your Microsoft email username (usually your email address, but if you are unsure, please check with your system administrator)
- Enter your Microsoft email Password
- Retype your Microsoft email Password to confirm
- Either, slide the toggle on to Use Autodiscover - this feature will attempt to discover your Microsoft Exchange Server address, or,
- Enter your Microsoft Exchange Server address if known - your system administrator should be able to tell you what this is (this option is disabled if Use Autodiscover is enabled)
- Click Save
- Click Check Settings. This attempts to connect to your Microsoft email mailbox. If it has problems doing so, you'll be presented with one of the following messages and will need to refer to your system administrator:
- The username and password are invalid
- The specified Server address is invalid
- Unable to autodiscover the server address
Once your user account is correctly configured, any emails sent from within Alto will enter the message syncing process.
When a recipient replies to an email, a ‘Notification Flag’ will appear on your Alto main toolbar. If you're logged in to Alto at the time it arrives, you'll also see a pop up notification. The flag icon in the main toolbar displays a number to indicate how many notifications you currently have.
The notifications will only appear to the user who sent the original email, although everybody will be able to see the emails sent and their replies, on the timelines
If you click the ‘Notification Flag’, the Notifications window opens, where you can take action on individual items:
If you click on an email notification, you'll dismiss that entry from the list and open the email in a new window.
Dismiss All removes all notifications from the list and closes the Notifications window.
Emails that have originated from Alto appear as normal in the Contacts and Property timelines. Replies to these emails, once processed by the system, will appear in the Timeline as an Email Reply.
You can filter the timelines to separate these replies by using the Synced Emails filter option at the top of the Timeline.
Email replies are handled in a similar manner to normal communications that have originated from Alto. If you click on a notification or an Email Reply in the Contacts/Property Timeline, the reply email allows you to reply to the email as normal and download any attachments (a paperclip symbol on the Timeline entry indicates if an email contains an attachment).