Data Portability is when a customer requests a copy of their personal information that you hold on file for them, to be given to them in a format that can be transferred to another software. This can be done from Alto.
To obtain data in a format to go into other software:
- Click Contacts on the main toolbar
- Select the relevant contact from Recent & Favourite Contacts
- Alternatively, find the contact using the Search Contacts bar in the top right
- Click Docs
- In the dropdown menu, click Personal Information Request
- If there are 2 people on the contact record, you'll have the option to select which contact
- Click the relevant request type. In this example, click Data Portability Request
- Click OK
- The Data Portability Request window opens. This extract includes all information that the person has given to you. You can either click Download or Cancel
- If you click Download, the information is presented in a portable machine-readable format (comma-separated file) that you can give to the person who has requested it
As the data controller, you can decide how to hand over this file.
Once you have downloaded the data, an entry appears on the Timeline showing that this was carried out. Click on the Download entry on the Timeline to see the file that was created (at that point in time). Be aware however that the data may have changed since.
The file only shows the information that you collected at the time of creating it. If you have added any more since, this will not show until you complete another Data Portability Request
The ICO website is a good source of reference for these requests.
The permission to use the Personal Information Request function will automatically be given upon deployment to anyone with the Group Administrator role.
To give this permission to any other user:
- Click Tools on the main toolbar
- On the side menu, under System Tools, click System Administration
- Click Group Roles
- Click Create New
- Add in the Reference Code of PersonalInformationRequest
- Ensure the Status is set to Active
- Click Create
- From the Edit Role page, select the relevant options and click Save