In Alto, to save you time and to help ensure your communication to your customers is on brand, you can now select a template to use when sending an ad hoc email. This article will help you to use the Rows feature in your email templates.
This article contains:
- How to use rows
- Locking rows
- Managing columns within rows
- Adding a column
- Deleting a column
- Resizing a column
- Other column settings
The Rows panel includes different types of structural elements and they allow you to create different sections of your message. Rows with different structures allow you to organise content in a way that is different from preceding and following rows.
For example, you may need…
- A single-column row with a hero image to introduce your main point
- A three-column row below it to display some of the key selling points of your agency
- You may also want to have different rows with the same structure so they can have different row or content background colours
- To switch to a different number of columns for an existing row, use the Customize Columns widget inside the row’s properties
- Select a row to switch the properties panel to the row and column settings. The editor provides great flexibility and customization at both the row and column level
To make message creation even easier and faster, you can clone entire Rows (for example, a picture, a button and a text block) with all of their settings and blocks. This allows what email designers call modular design: you create a module and then replicate it multiple times in the message
- To create a row that cannot be edited by users when sending an email, lock the row by toggling to Locked
Certain amendments will still be possible by the user sending the template, such as changing the image used in an image block, but the structure of the row and the majority of the content cannot be altered.
When you select a row, the row properties will have a customize columns section, where you can manage the columns inside that row, and apply additional settings.
To add a new column inside a row,
- Click on + Add new
- The New Column is always added to the far right, with default size 2
- The widget will automatically find the best resize option to adapt to the addition of a new column
- The minimum column width is 2, and rows can have a maximum of 6 columns
- When the maximum number of columns is reached, the + Add new action disappears
To remove a column,
- Click the Delete action in the top-right of that Columns' properties
- When a column is deleted, the nearest column on the left gets its width
- If the deleted column is the first on the left, the right column will take the width
- If there is just one column, the Delete action is not visible
To resize a column,
- Drag the divider icon between two columns to the left or to the right
- The stage will reflect the change in real-time as you resize the column and you can preview the result before letting go of the divider
Additional settings at the column level within a row allow control on background colour, padding and borders for the selected column.