In Alto, to save you time and to help ensure your communication to your customers is on brand, you can now select a template to use when sending an ad hoc email. This article will help you get started with email templates.
This article includes:
- Message editing stage and Features panel
- Navigating the message editing area
- Undo, Redo and Timeline
The editor is divided into two main areas:
- The main message editing area on the left
- And the features panel on the right
In general, you can drag and drop the content elements into the main messaging editing area (the stage) and then edit them using the features. This is true for entire structures (e.g. a single-column row) and individual content blocks (e.g. a text content block).
The features panel is divided into three sections:
- Content - This is where you will choose and edit the specific content elements that make up your message: buttons, images, text blocks, etc.
- Rows - Here you can select different structural elements (e.g. a single-column vs. three-column row) to organize your content
- Settings - Here is where you will define some overall settings that affect the entire message. For example, a default font family
The Content tab allows you to choose a new content element and add it to your message.
- Drag and drop a content element (a button, an image, a text block, a transparent or solid divider, social media sharing, etc.) in the message area on the left
- It will be added to an existing row
- or you can add a new row first and drag the content element onto the new row
For more information on How to Use Rows click here
The content elements that you can use are:
- Title - add a title to your email message or section of your message. For more information on Titles in content elements click here
- Text - if you click inside a text content block, the text editor toolbar will appear directly on the main messaging editing area. It gives you access to a number of text editing tools: font family, font size, basic formatting, text alignment, numbered and non-numbered bullets, font colour, links, etc.
If you set the font family to Global Font, it will inherit the font family selected under the SETTINGS tab. This allows you to change the font family for multiple elements at once just by changing that property in the Settings tab
- Image - you can drag & drop image files directly from your desktop onto an image content block. You can also upload them using the File Manager or use the URL of remotely hosted images. You can edit images using the Image Editor
- Button - you can add buttons, change the way they look, and decide where they link to
- Divider - this helps create visual separation between design elements. Granular control on padding provides great design flexibility
- Social - add the icons for the social media platforms you use, and create links to your URLs
- Video - share your video content easily in your emails by pasting the URL of your YouTube or Vimeo video. For more information on how to add videos click here
- Icons - you can use Icons to create visual bullet lists, ratings, properties, logo galleries, etc. For more information on using icons click here
- Menu - create horizontal or vertical menus of links that send your customers to relevant web content
Once the content is added to the messaging editing area, you can amend the settings of that content in the content properties area of the editor.
When you hover over the message in the message editing area of the editor (the stage), the following happens:
- Hover over a block of content (a button in the example below), and the editor shows you an icon on the right side that allows you to drag that block of content elsewhere
- Click on a block of content, and the editor will:
- Show you two icons on the stage, which allow you to remove or clone that block of content
- Change the properties section on the right side of the editor to display a series of features that you can set for that block of content
- When you hover over an area that is free of content, i.e. the row in which the content is located, the editor will highlight it and show you an icon that allows you to drag that entire row elsewhere on the stage
- When you click on a row, the editor will:
- Deselect any block of content that had been previously selected
- Select the row, and show you two icons that allow you to remove or clone the entire row and all its content
- Change the properties section on the right side of the editor to display a series ofproperties that apply to that column within the row. A row can contain more than one column
Email templates also contain a feature to help you to correct mistakes or return to a previous edit.
When enabled, the Undo feature allows you to rewind and fast-forward to any point in your recent edit history. When changes are detected, a compact Undo widget displays in the bottom left corner of the stage, as shown below.
Clicking on the Undo or the Redo arrows allows you to undo the latest edit or re-apply it.