The new Import Receipts functionality enables you to import bank transactions and match receipts to outstanding tenancy and contact charges. This user guide takes you through the following process:
Alternatively watch the short video - Import Receipts
- Step 1 - Preparation
- Step 2 - Create a file of bank transactions to import into Alto
- Step 3 - Import the bank transaction file into Alto
- Step 4 - Matching Receipts to contact or tenancy records or charges
- Step 5 - Pinning a reference to a contact or tenancy record or charge
- Step 6 - Confirming the import of receipts into Alto
System Admin -> Client Bank Accounts
For each client account, select an Import Receipts File Format from one of the following options:
- BM ASCIII
- HSBC NET
System Admin -> Group Settings -> Payment and Receipt Settings -> Imported Receipts
Specify the number of clearance days to be applied to imported receipts (default is 0 days).
System Admin -> Group Roles
Specify which group roles should have access to 'Receipt Import'.
Imported receipts are matched to records and/or charges using the imported receipt reference.
In Alto, payment references can be allocated to a charge or a tenancy or a contact record and must be a minimum of six character.
There are three methods of matching:
- Tenancy Payment Reference - will match any receipt with that reference to any outstanding Tenancy charge and/or will receive funds into held monies for that tenancy.
- Contact Payment Reference - will match any receipt with that reference to any outstanding Contact charge and/or will receive funds into held monies for that tenancy.
- Charge Payment Reference - will only match a receipt with that reference to the specific charge (i.e. rent). If there are no outstanding charges at the point of the receipt import, then no match will be available.
The charge payment reference is entered on the Options tab:
A new Payment Reference field has been added to both Tenancy and Contact records.
Tenancy -> Details:
Contact -> Contact:
- Duplicate references are not allowed. If an import receipt reference matches the payment reference on more than one record the receipt cannot be allocated until the payment reference has been removed from one of the records i.e. it is no longer a duplicate.
- If you want to track receipts and arrears for sharers at a tenant level, you must ensure that each tenant has their own 'tenant' rent charges and a unique payment reference.
- If tenants are being treated as 'jointly and severally liable' but each sharer is making a separate payment, the rent charge should be at tenant level and all the sharers should quote the same payment reference.
Log in to your internet/online banking and export the bank transactions to be imported into Alto in the format specified in System Admin -> Client Bank Accounts (see Step 1).
Alto will only import bank credit transactions. Debit transactions in the file will be ignored.
Internet banking export transactions example:
Go to Accounts -> Bank Transactions -> Import Receipts and select the relevant bank account.
You cannot select a bank account if an Import Receipts file format has not been specified for the account in System Admin -> Client Bank Accounts.
The number and value of previously imported unmatched items and the date of the last import is displayed on each client account.
On opening this screen any previously imported un-matched receipts for the selected bank account will be displayed and matched where possible.
You have the following options:
Delete all unmatched receipts
Delete a single unmatched receipt
Upload a bank transaction fileSearch for receipts by date, amount or bank reference
Search for receipts by date, amount or bank reference
Select 'Upload File'.
Select Choose a file and browse to your bank transaction file or drag the file onto the form.
Transaction Validation Check:
Alto compares the date range of the transactions being imported against previously imported transactions in the same date range. A warning message is displayed if duplicate items are found.
When the file has been uploaded the number of receipts imported is displayed. Click Refresh to see the imported receipts and match the receipts to charges.
A timeline entry is added to the Import Receipts -> Timeline tab including a copy of the downloaded file.
Alto will attempt to match the receipts (credit items) in the import file to outstanding tenancy and contact charges. Payment transactions (debits) in the import file are ignored.
Receipts are only matched to charges where:
- Tenancy/Tenant charge - The client bank account is associated with the property associated with the tenancy.
- Proposed Tenancy or Prospective Tenant charges - the client bank account is the default for the branch associated with the property. Note: Receipts matched to 'Landlord Income' charges e.g. Rent associated with the tenancies/tenants with this status are highlighted with a yellow warning triangle.
- Landlord charges - the client bank account is on the landlord contact record.
- Applicant or Supplier charges - the client bank account is the default for the branch associated with the contact record.
Alto auto-matches receipts to charges when the receipt payment reference matches the payment reference on a charge or tenancy/contact record and the payment reference has previously been matched and 'pinned' to a charge or tenancy/contact record. The first time you use this routine no receipts will be auto-matched. If you want a receipt to auto-match when it is imported in future, it must be matched and pinned to a tenancy/contact record or charge. The rules for auto-matching and the process of matching and pinning is explained in step 5.
The total number and value of the items in the Match Payments section is displayed. Click anywhere on the green header background to expand the view to display the individual receipts.
If the receipt reference matches a pinned payment reference on an outstanding charge:
- If there is more than one outstanding charge with a matching payment ref, Alto matches to the oldest charge first.
- If the receipt if less than the charge amount it is allocated as a partial receipt.
- If the receipt cannot be allocated in full it is not matched. This is to prevent an amount being receipted as held monies and being allocated to a non-matching charge at a later date.
If receipt reference matches the pinned payment reference on a contact record or tenancy record:
- The receipt is allocated to any outstanding charges of a matching type* (tenant or tenancy) for the contact or tenancy record where payment reference = blank.
- If more than one charge is outstanding the receipt is allocated to the oldest charges first.
- If the receipt amount exceeds the charge outstanding amount the balance is receipted as held monies on the contact or tenancy record.
- If there are no outstanding charges the amount is receipted as held monies on the contact or tenancy record.
- If payment reference is on a Tenancy record - receipts are only be allocated to 'Tenancy' charges.
- If payment reference is on a Contact record - receipts are only allocated to contact charges including 'tenant' charges (not tenancy).
Notes: If the import reference is on outstanding charge/s AND the contact/tenancy record, Alto follows the rules above re: the reference is on the charge.
Matches are not performed on amount, date or charge item.
All receipts not auto-matched will appear in the Un-Matched Payments section.
Using the same rules as the auto-match, Alto matches receipts to charges when the receipt payment matches the payment reference on a charge or tenancy/contact record and the payment reference has NOT been matched and 'pinned' previously. These suggested matches are displayed in the Un-Matched Payments section with a probability percentage.
The probability percentage is based on reference match:
- Payment Reference and amount match - 90%
- Reference Match only - 80%
- Payment Match only - 70%
Delete the item. You may want to use this option if the receipt has previously been entered into Alto.
Confirm the match (moves the receipt into the Matched Payments section). If you want receipts with this payment reference to be auto-matched in the future it must be Pinned.
Any receipts not matched using the rules above will appear with a . Click on the question mark to see potential matches.
Potential matches and their probability percentage are based on the following rules:
- Part of the import reference matches part of the tenancy name and address or contact name and address on a record.
- Import amount matches the charge amount.
- Import dates matches the charge date.
The probability percentage decreases depending upon the number of riles the receipt matches. In the example below the receipt for £120 has a reference of 'Bobby Bingle'. This matches 50% to a contact with that name and an outstanding charge for the same amount. The 10% matches shown only match the receipt based on the charge date or the charge amount.
You can select the charges you want to allocate the receipt to. If there are no charges outstanding but a potential record match has been identified, you can choose to enter the receipt as held monies.
You can allocate a receipt to multiple charges if the charges are linked to the same contact/tenancy.
- You can select multiple charges for the same contact/tenancy if the sum of the charges is equal to or less than the receipt amount.
- If the receipt amount if more than the amount of the charges selected the balance will be receipted as held monies. The amount to be allocated as Held monies will be displayed below the selected charge/s.
Having selected the record to allocate the receipt to, click to confirm the match and move it to the Matched Payments section.
If an import reference matches the reference on more than one record it cannot be allocated until the reference has been removed from one of the records. Click 'Display duplicated references' to see the records assigned to the same payment reference.
Note: If the duplicate reference is on a charge you cannot remove the reference. You will need to allocate the receipt manually.
You have the following options on matched payments:
Move the receipt to the Un-Matched Payments section.
Pin the reference to the charge or tenancy/contact record.
Review or Forget the reference pinned to the charge or tenancy/contact record.
Pin a reference
For a receipt to be auto-matched the payment reference must be 'pinned' to the matched charge OR the tenancy/contact record.
If pinning a reference to a periodic charge e.g. a weekly, monthly, quarterly charge, all future charges in the series will be pinned. This will ensure that future charges are auto-matched. NOTE: Not available in Beta release.
Review or Forget a Payment Reference
Select the section of the receipt reference to be pinned for future matches and click on the Pin Reference button.
To review or remove a pinned reference click the Review button.
Click on Review OR Forget.
- Forget - removes the pinned flag from the record therefore it will no longer auto-match. The reference will not be removed.
- Review - allows you to view and edit the pinned reference.
If the Pin is moved from the tenancy or contact TO the charge, the reference will be removed from the tenancy or contact to ensure receipts are only allocated to this charge in the future.
Note: When you edit or delete a 'pinned' payment reference from a tenancy/contact record or charge it will be forgotten. Therefore, it will not auto-match until it has been pinned again via the Import Receipts routine.
Click Cancel to exit without updating. All manual matches are lost and moved back to the un-matched payments section.
All receipts in the Matched Payments section are posted in Alto. The receipt date and bank reference are read from the import file.
You have the option of clearing the receipts on the Un-Matched Payments section.
A timeline entry is added to the Import Receipts -> Timeline tab with a report detailing the receipts imported and the receipts remaining in the Un-Matched Payments.
A receipt timeline entry will be added to the tenancy or contact record.
If you have opted to send receipts documents, they will be sent via the contact's preferred account delivery method. The options for sending receipts are:
- None (default option)
- All excluding Rent